·Movie Review: Buzz Lightyear Movie [10]
    ·Movie Review: The Marvels [7]
    ·UCLA vs. USC 2022 preview
    ·Expectation Review: Black Adam [22]
    ·Tuna Is Not The Favorite Pizza Topping in Minnesota
    ·Expectation Review: Captain Marvel [25]
    ·Forum Topic: Update your Facebook property
    ·Web Link: WEP Key Converter
    ·Forum Topic: Why does my IPA file get saved as a zip file in IE?
    ·Web Link: BeyondCompare

read more...
    TheForce.Net
    ·Rebelscum Breast Cancer Awareness Charity Patch
    ·BBC Interviews J.J. Abrams About Trek And Wars
    ·CEII: Jabba's Palace Reunion - Massive Guest Announcements
    ·Fathead's May the Fourth Be With You!
    ·Star Wars Night With The Tampa Bay Storm Reminder
    ·Stephen Hayford Star Wars Weekends Exclusive Art
    ·ForceCast #251: To Spoil or Not to Spoil
    ·New Timothy Zahn Audio Books Coming
    ·SDCC: Exclusive Black Series Boba Fett With Han In Carbonite Set
    ·Star Wars Art Exposition May 4th

read more...
    Hot trends
    ·Group29.com

read more...
    Group29 Discussion Board :: View topic - A first-time dad asks: "What should I buy?"
    Ratings, Links, Free Speech and more

Group29 Discussion Board Forum Index -> Group29 General -> A first-time dad asks: "What should I buy?"
    A first-time dad asks: "What should I buy?"
    PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
    BB
    Regular

My wife had been pretty good about getting rid of the old baby stuff either to friends, Once Upon A Child, or Goodwill. (I am very glad we are not tripping over alot of that anymore. Between the baby swing and the high chair, it was a real pain to get through the kitchen.) I highly recommend garage sales and Once Upon A Child. There you can find baby clothes and things which look brand new for cheap. Once Upon a Child is good about not taking crappy stuff in, since it will not sell.

It is pretty easy for new moms to get sucked into Babies-R-Us, since the next phase after "Bridezilla" is "Momzilla." I was pretty lucky myself having married well. But I have seen some friends shell out some big cash to "feather the nest" so to speak. We have _never_ bought any baby clothes at a retail outlet since they are so overpriced. 90% of baby outfits are worn once because they change sizes so quickly. The other 10% are worn daily and are thrown away when the child outgrows them. The key is finding something in the "worn once or never" section and using it all the time.

Here is what I think, as the father, you need to purchase before the birth:

-Infant Car seat and stroller combo with click-in car seat holder
      -Basinet, (not a crib yet)
      -Feeding equipment for bottles or breast feeding
      -Hangers for baby clothes (a hangar might be nice too.)
      -Snugli http://www.snugli.com/ to carry the baby (For our kids, we wore two Snuglis out. They needed to be moving constantly. But some babies don't like them)
      -Digital Camera, Extra rechargable Batteries and charger, + Extra memory cartridge
      -CD player for baby's room
      -A heavy duty diaper pail, not one of the ones that requires special bags. I highly recommend the Baby Trends "Diaper Champ" rather than the seemingly more popular Diaper Genie.
      -A washable changing pad, not a table. (Both our kids were bucking broncos. So trying to change on a table was impossible. I saw one of our mom friends catch her kid by the ankle as he flew off the table.)
      -A reliable washing machine (Sears Kenmore!)
      -A clothes drying rack
      -Some not so nice towels and rags you won't mind using to wipe up barf and poop.

Purchase any other stuff as you need it as the kid gets older. Babies do not wear much in the first few months. It might be impossible to convince Your wife that the crib/changing table/dresser ensemble is not needed until later since hormones are kicking in. So at least count on painting and preparing a baby room. Count on getting some outfits and toys from baby showers before you go shopping. You will get a diaper bag from the hospital. Somehow, the diaper bag is the one thing the guy gets to select so they are all masculine-looking camping-gear style things. They are all a bust really. You can be man enough to use the green one with carrots and bunnies.
    A first-time dad asks: "What should I buy?"
      Group29 Discussion Board Forum Index -> Group29 General