·Movie Review: Buzz Lightyear Movie [10]
    ·Movie Review: The Marvels [7]
    ·UCLA vs. USC 2022 preview
    ·Expectation Review: Black Adam [22]
    ·Tuna Is Not The Favorite Pizza Topping in Minnesota
    ·Expectation Review: Captain Marvel [25]
    ·Forum Topic: Update your Facebook property
    ·Web Link: WEP Key Converter
    ·Forum Topic: Why does my IPA file get saved as a zip file in IE?
    ·Web Link: BeyondCompare

read more...
    TheForce.Net
    ·Rebelscum Breast Cancer Awareness Charity Patch
    ·BBC Interviews J.J. Abrams About Trek And Wars
    ·CEII: Jabba's Palace Reunion - Massive Guest Announcements
    ·Fathead's May the Fourth Be With You!
    ·Star Wars Night With The Tampa Bay Storm Reminder
    ·Stephen Hayford Star Wars Weekends Exclusive Art
    ·ForceCast #251: To Spoil or Not to Spoil
    ·New Timothy Zahn Audio Books Coming
    ·SDCC: Exclusive Black Series Boba Fett With Han In Carbonite Set
    ·Star Wars Art Exposition May 4th

read more...
    Hot trends
    ·Group29.com

read more...
    Group29 Discussion Board :: View topic - Visual Basic and Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 Services
    Ratings, Links, Free Speech and more

Group29 Discussion Board Forum Index -> Group29 Tech Tips -> Visual Basic and Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 Services
    Visual Basic and Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 Services
    PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
    BB
    Regular

Dan Fox wrote in chapter 19 of his book Pure Visual Basic, information on how to create a Visual Basic Service. It could be done in VB6 and even VB5 and VB4 32bit, if I recall.

Here is an article by Dan, VB.NET Makes Windows Services a Breeze talking about the finer points of writing a Visual Basic service using Visual Studio.NET

I had experience with srvany.exe from the Windows NT resource kit. It really was not a good solution for putting Windows console apps as a service, but it was all we had.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q137890/

Microsoft used to supply VB6 code that you could attempt to use to build a service application. It would appear that it is no longer available through MSDN, technet, or support. But now, what would be the point? Use Visual Studio .NET and create a Windows Service application in any language. The framework handles the rest.

Here are some notes on other console-app-to-NT-Service tools.
    Windows Networking: Create Registered Windows NT Services out of Applications
    VBWire: How to Create Visual Basic NT Services

Firedaemon?
    A person from our corporate help desk was talking to me about one of our Windows 2000 servers about an issue. I mentioned that we had an app running on the console (renditions services) where you needed to be logged in. He recommended a program called FireDaemon. I would have blown him off, but he said he got it to work with a product I have worked with extensively from 1998-2003. I then gained newfound respect for him.
    http://www.firedaemon.com

Quote:
    FireDaemon is a utility that allows you to install and run virtually any native Win32 application or script (eg. BAT/CMD, Perl, Java, Python, TCL/TK) as a Windows NT, 2000, XP, 2003 & Longhorn service. FireDaemon features easy configuration (via GUI or XML), a low memory/CPU overhead, subprocess prioritisation, custom environments, CPU binding plus monitoring and logging to the event log and on-disk log files.

The Firedaemon Lite 1.6 "free" version is no longer available from them. But I may go with the trial version. The problem I have is that my app consists of two services that are already services, but need a specific user ID. These services do not work unless the console is logged. I believe the key is that they use the Adobe distiller, which Adobe warns you specifically should not run as a service.
    Visual Basic and Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 Services
      Group29 Discussion Board Forum Index -> Group29 Tech Tips